Friday, July 13, 2012

My Towel...No, MY Towel!

When I saw the hooks pictured above at Anthropologie I knew they had to be mine. But at $12 a pop I thought I could find something similar at a much cheaper price. Now before you get all concerned about my fiscal well-being I realize that $12 isn't a huge amount of money. Heck, even buying three of them (which is what I wanted - one for each kid) would only total $36 dollars but lets get real, $36 simply for three hooks is ridiculous in my cheap mind. 

So when I found a similar item at Micheal's for .99 cents I knew they had to be mine. They were being sold as drawer pulls but I knew I could convert them into hooks somehow. So I bought some wood, with the help of Owen and Ari, at Lowe's (forgive the blurry iPhone photo)


along with some hooks and got to makin'. First I stained my wood, which was a $1.97 1X4' furring strip that I had them cut to 36" (and kept the rest for a future project that I already have in mind). 

Then I painted it with some left-over blue paint I had on hand. Then I sanded it to give it the distressed look I was going for. Next I took the hook I purchased from Lowe's and screwed those bad boys into the wood. But I only put one of the screw in each hook. 

Then I whipped out my drawer pulls and screwed them into the top hole of the hook to make it look like one unit (to the left in the below photo), rather than a hook with a drawer pull placed above the hook (like the one on the right). 


Then I removed this ugly towel bar


to make room for the new one. I saved it in my closet though so that I could reinstall it when we move (we are in a rental). Then I just drilled my new masterpiece straight into the studs of the wall. And voila! My babies have a personalized towel bar! I needed to touch up the holes where the old towel bar was but we've since decided to move to a bigger house so I'm just leaving it as-is since we'll be packing in about three weeks anyway.




Since making their own towel bar I can now I can give them all the same colored towels since then hang them on their specific hook. Trust me, prior to them having their own hooks there were arguments over whose towel was whose. So much so that we had to buy color coded towels per child. Ari had pink, Ethan red, and Owen green. But, alas, with their individual hooks they can all have the same color towel so that their bathroom decor looks cohesive even with their towels hanging up!

I think I did pretty good price wise - I already owned the stain, poly, paint, and sandpaper. So with the wood being $1.97, the pulls being $.99 each, and the hooks being $3.51 each, I came in at $15.50. Holla!

Any bathroom updates in ya'lls house? The kids' bathroom got neglected for so long because they have been gone for five months so the room never got used except by the occasional guest. But that's definitely changed these days. It now gets plenty of use and is often overrun with bathtub toys and dirty clothes littered on the floor, but I wouldn't have it any other way! Take care ya'll! 

Muah,

Lor

No comments:

Post a Comment