Sunday, June 30, 2013

Reunited


and it feeeels so gooood. Come on, you know you wanted to sing it. 

I haven't see my crew in two months! In the words of Owen, "That's 60 days!"   That's bananas. But yesterday I was finally able head their way. So back to the good ole U.S. of A I headed. After waking up at 0330 in the morning and a two hour ride to London Heathrow airport, I was making my way through security when my bag got pulled off to the side after it went through the X-ray machine. 

I stood there for at least 15 minutes waiting for an employee to get to my bag. When he did, I was curious as to what the hold up could be. On top of that I was  freezing because the airport must've had their A/C set to 100 degrees below zero and my jacket was in the bin he was inspecting and of course I had only wore a tank top under my jacket because I knew that when I landed in Missouri in 10 hours it'd be 90 degrees outside. So he's going through my bag (which btw is the fastest, lightest bag I've ever packed...I was certain I'd go to bed that night and realize I forgot my toothbrush or something) and he asked me to open my toiletries bag. He riffles through it with his latex gloves on and a wand that looks disturbingly similar to a toilet bowl cleaner. He pulls out the item of interest. An eyelash curler. Alert the authorities. 

He laughed. I stared at him blankly while reaching for my jacket, then walked towad my gate.

Ate breakfast. Watched a toddler knock over an entire table of drinks. Then went to sit at my gate. The plane was delayed because as the captain announced a vehicle had broke down in front of the plane and they were "trying to get it up and running." I didn't understand why they didn't just put that mofo in neutral and push it out of the way, but whatever. We eventually took off. 

I had the luxury of a middle seat. Sandwiched in between two strangers for 8 hours. Joyous. And after one of my many naps I woke to find the lady in the seat next to me fell asleep on me and I on her. We both woke at the same one. Probably because when someone's head is on your shoulder and they move it wakes you as well. So we look at each other and realize the slight awkwardness of the situation  and we both chuckled and then began speaking at the same time. Problem was, we were speaking different languages, I think that was even more awkward than our accidental cuddling. We both sort of paused. Smiled. Then turned to our respective televisions and picked a movie to watched.

We landed in JFK for a layover. Boo to layovers. But get this, we arrived about 30 minutes late because of that vehicle that held us up in London. So I only had an hour to get to my next plane, which isn't a lot because since I flew international I got off the plane and even though I had a connecting flight we all still had to go through customs again. Then if you checked a bag you have to get it from baggage claim and recheck it (luckily I just had a carrying). Then I had to print out the next boarding pass and then wait in the line for security again. About 20 minutes of standing in line for security and the guard says that anyone with a 250pm flight or earlier can go to the front of the line. That was me. But by that time then I had 15 minutes until my plane took off. Not boarded. Took off. So I'm in JFK and of course I'm in this situation at one airport I've never been to before. Ive been to countless other airports and are familiar with their layouts but this was my first time at JFK. It's huge. And confusing. And of course I needed the terminal at the opposite end of the airport. So I speed walk/half jog to the shuttle. Get there and it's a huge line.

I felt like an ass but I saw that I only had ten minutes so I went to the front and told the clerk my plane was leaving in ten minutes. Thankfully, she let me go to the front and onto the shuttle that was currently loading. The ride seemed to take forever and I was was so nervous I wasn't gonna miss my flight. Of all flights, this one to see my babies. While in the shuttle I asked the lady how far my gate was from where we were getting dropped off. She looked at the gate number on my boarding pass and said, "Up the stairs and go left until you cant go left anymore." Until you can't go left anymore? That sounded far and my face must've told her that because then she said, "Baby, you're gonna need to run." 

We get to the terminal where my gate was and I took off running. I've only had to run through one other airport about six years ago when I was headed to see Seth. That time was my fault. But that's a whole 'nother story. 

So I take off running. Mind you I have a duffle bag so I slung it across my body like a messenger bag and seriously I've never ran so fast before in my life (I'm sure the AF is thrilled to hear that). I finally made it to the gate but there was a different city listed on the screen. I'm pretty sure the "no" that came out of my mouth was somewhat loud due to me breathing hard from being out of breath. The clerk heard me and saw the mess I was. 

"St. Louis?" I said, certain she was gonna tell me I missed it. 

"Go." She said as she grabbed my boarding pass from me and pointed to the door behind her. "They're still here. We finished boarding and are preparing for the next flight, I'll call them and let them know you're coming."

As I ran toward the door I thanked her a million times over and thanked my lucky stars that things came together in a way that allowed me to make my flight. 

This time I got a widow seat. And the flight wasn't quite three hours. But I was hot and sweaty and a mess from running my ass off but I had never been so happy to be on a plane. 

After arriving in STL I caught the shuttle to the hotel. Phoned the parents and the husband and got in the shower. 

30 minutes later and these guys arrive. 


Best moment ever. Seriously. I love these three more than words can describe. 

Owen kept sitting on me and telling me how good I smelled. He and Ari were rubbing all over my face and hair and squeezing their hind ends on any piece of my lap that was available. Ethan was helping my dad bring all the luggage into my parents hotel room but soon joined in on the hugs galore. 

They are asleep as I write this. My body is on London time so I woke up much earlier than usual. But it's so sweet to wake up to babies n my bed and in the bed across from me.



I never thought I'd smile waking up to a room with plates and cups all over the desk (due to room service from the night before), blankets and teddy bears every where. Shoes scattered randomly about. And the snoring of my little guy. But I loved waking up to it today. Because it meant I was waking up to my kidlets. And what's better than that?

Xo,

One Happy Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment