Sunday, December 04, 2011

Oh So Thankful

Is it just me or are you scratching your head, asking yourself where the year went? It's December; wowza!

Soooo, raise your hand if you I failed to decorate for Halloween! So did this girl! *raises hand*

I bought a pumpkin with the intent to carve it and yet it sat in the trunk of my car for about a month - fear not, it didn't rot. And our Halloween decor stayed tucked away in the plastic bin labeled 'Halloween.' All this went down (or, didn't go down) because of the munchkins' absence. It was the first holiday that we didn't decorate in someway, and I'll admit that it kinda sucked not having the house decorated.

So after the whole Halloween debacle, I figured we can't not decorate/celebrate a holiday just because our brood isn't physically present, but then again we don't have to go all out as if they are here either. I figured Love and I could find a happy medium, and maybe make some new traditions.

So we I came up with a Thankful Jar:



The idea was: beginning 1 November and continuing everyday up until Thanksgiving we would each write down something we are thankful for (and we weren't allowed to look at each others until Thanksgiving). Then, on Thanksgiving we could read all the silly, sappy, awesome things we are thankful for.

I suppose it's similar to the time capsule tradition we do with our munchkins every year, except with the 'thankful jar' we only have to go for a month of anticipation rather than a whole 12 months.

Well, we ended up doing it for the entire month of November because we were out of town visiting family during the Thanksgiving weekend. So the other night we finally got to read all the things we are thankful for.

Let's begin with mine, shall we?


Both Seth and I seemed to have a nice little balance of silly, serious and simple things we gave thanks for. A few of mine included:

- That we're alike enough to have a common ground but different enough to keep things     spiiiiicy
- That I met you 
- For the simple things: lights, food, a home
- That you got F-15s
- That Crossroads wasn't our one and only Thanksgiving "celebration." Seriously, God, I'm thanking You directly for that blessing!
- That we get to have Krissy and Drake visit every summer
- That Bear has a VERY SCURRY bark
- That I've never burnt down the house in my attempts to 'cook'
- For our triad-O-children: E, A & O!
- That my parents are able to spend Christmas with us

And some of Seth's were:



- My truck
- My wife's new hair
- Going to see my grandparents for Thanksgiving
- Battlefield 3
- The kids
- F15e
- The steady income we have
- Burnt cookies
- My truck
- Being married
- My gorgeous body
- My truck

Ummmm, am I the only that sees a problem? His truck? I'll admit; it's a sexy ass truck, but holy shit, really? I was mentioned one time directly and maybe three times indirectly, but his truck was mentioned too many times to count! I was the one reading the thankful cards aloud and when I read, "My truck" for the second time, I screamed, "What!?" And he laughed while trying to convince me that he didn't remember writing it down more than once. He even thought I was making it up at one point and asked to see the card for himself, when I showed him that "My truck" was written in his handwriting he just continued to laugh and say, "I must've forgot I wrote it down already." I gave him the stank-eye and told him he better pray he wrote down "My perfectly amazing, totally gorgeous wife" as many times as he wrote about that damn truck. 

And do you like how we both referred to my terrible cooking? A few weekends ago I was baking cookies and burnt 'em. That day I wrote down, "That I haven't burnt down the house in my attempts to cook" and he said that was the same day he wrote down, "Burnt cookies."

Great minds...

And do you like how he gave thanks for his "gorgeous body"? And to Battlefield 3. Some evenings I'll say, "I'm gonna read my book." And he counters with, "I'm gonna go defend our freedom." Which means he's going to play Battlefield 3 with his buddies. Oy. 

And while we were gone over the Thanksgiving holiday my friend Sara was housesitting for us (a.k.a. watching our monster puppy). And she slipped a note in the jar unbeknownst to me:



Isn't that the sweetest? And I mentioned Sara in one of mine too. It was the day we were leaving town, I wrote, "That Sara is willing to watch our Lil Hellian. aka: Bear" 

And when reading all of our thankful notes, Seth made mention to me that I had Bear in quite a few of mine. But trust me, they were not all positive. One was pure sarcasm: "That Bear listens so very well." Which made me realize that I didn't mention Jersey at all! Seth loved that. We have this ongoing feud of who has the best pet; him with Bear... or me with Jersey. He said that since I didn't mention Jersey it meant I unconsciously care about Bear more. My reasoning was that Bear is such a problem child that he is simply on my mind more than Jersey who doesn't give me any trouble. 

Seth didn't buy it. And apparently neither did Jersey because he was ignoring me for the rest of that afternoon. He typically lays right beside me on the couch, but that day he laid on the faaaar end of the couch, seriously, he couldn't have picked a spot farther away from me.



And look at the look on his face. I guess I should understand his annoyance with me though, I mean, he's giving me the same stank-eye I gave Seth over that damn truck.


Hope your Thanksgiving was as entertaining as ours,

Lor

No comments:

Post a Comment