Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Go-to Toddler Foods

Sharing some of our favourite toddler meals today and let me tell you, I feel like A's taste buds change every five seconds; one week she loves fish, pasta, and raisins and the next she looks at me like I'm feeding her garbage if I put those same things in front of her. Luckily we have a few standing favourite go-tos to fall back on when she's changing her mind about most other foods. 

Eggs. She loves eggs. All my kids do. So much so that we constantly have boiled eggs in the fridge, no exaggeration. And they go like hot cakes. Which is fine by me. So when the baby is being picky I can always make her eggs whether it be scrambled, fried, boiled, etc. We legit buy three 2.5 dozen cartons every two weeks and even still I usually need to go grab another dozen or so before the full two weeks is up. Yeah, our grocery bill is insane. 

Rice. She eats every last grain. I've had this amazing rice cooker for the last decade. No joke. And it was worth every penny because you literally push a button and you have perfectly cooked rice in no time. Sometimes I put a sauce on her rice. Sometimes I don't. Either way she devours it. I usually serve it with some sort of bean for protein. 

Pasta. Any kind. End of story.  

Couscous. Its her fave as of late

Potatoe salad. Yo, the girl likes carbs. She is her mother's daughter. My father-in-law's side of the family has a potatoe salad recipe that is heavenly. Super simple but heavenly nontheless. I never had anything like it and struggled to even call of potatoe salad for the longest time because it's only relation to traditional potatoe salad is that it has potatoes and mayonnaise in it. Anyway, it's another one all the kids love.

Chicken pot pie. I love this stuff. And so does she. And I don't feel bad about her having it because of all the veg it contains. 

Grapes and Clementines. She probably thinks they're candy. She rolls her eyes and hums whilst eating them and I never tell her no of she asks for more. 

Apples. She can eat an entire one. Girlfriend isn't gonna go hungry anytime soon.

I know all kids are different but hopefully some of these go-tos will be a winner for your kiddos too. And one more thing that ensures she eats well is not giving her loads of something at once. I don't know if she gets overwhelmed or what but she'll start playing with it and making a mess intentionally rather than eating, but if I just give her a small portion she happily eats. She's also starting to love eating at the actual table in a real chair rather than her highchair. Which is more than fine by me because I took ages to find a highchair that didn't have a large footprint and wasn't an ugly hunk of plastic in my dining area so while I eventually found a highchair that I love I'm definitely not going to be sad to see it get stored away soon.  

Happy Friday, folks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment